There's a quote by Skinner that I really enjoy (you may have read it at the top of this page) that I feel sums up the behavioral world view quite nicely:
"I did not direct my life. I didn't design it. I never made decisions. Things always came up and made them for me. That's what life is."
On the surface the quote seems general and somewhat inspiring. But when you look at it, and familiarize yourself with Skinner and the science of Behavior Analysis, there is more than what meets the eye.
What he is saying is perhaps the most profound thing I have ever read. He is saying that you are not making independent decisions, you are not being controlled by a destiny, and you are not a free agent and a product of free will. Skinner is describing his life's work in 5 sentences: your behavior is a product of the environment and past learning history. Nothing more, nothing less.
It's a hardline stance to take on life. Many follow it; many not so much.
I find it fun to think about the less scientific things in life from time to time. I get down on myself if I don't daydream or conjure crazy conceptual ideas and scenerios without the worry of having to show data. But then again, those mindless wanderings are just covert behavior backed by some powerful reinforcement. I just can't get around the behavioral principles, no matter how hard I try. And that's why I love the science so much. It all comes back to behavior analysis, the trap I've sucked myself into deep enough to where I don't think I'll ever escape.
Monday, June 4, 2007
Skinner is my bro
at
4:08 PM
·
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment