Sunday, August 12, 2007

Coromandel Forest Park

·

Coromandel Forest Park


This weekend was great. I went with 3 other friends to the Coromandel Peninsula to hike in the Coromandel Forest Park region. The track was easy compared to what Kel and I dealt with last weekend on Mnt Pirongia, and the weather was better. During the 1800's-mid 1950's this region was home to a major logging campaign. What they would do was cut down these giant trees and throw them in the river. Then, they would break the dams that held the water back, sending the logs down stream to the ocean where they could be gathered and hulled away. When you see the size of the remaining trees that they logged, one can't help but picture the sight of giant logs rushing down a river. The trees, I believe, are second in size only to the California Redwood. Yea, picture it. Unfortunately, most of them are gone.

Another great thing about the park was the hut. The Pinnacles hut is the largest hut in the country, with room for 80 people. It also included a nice deck, water, a shower, and gas for cooking. For $15 a night, you can stay in the middle of nowhere in awesome luxury. Look at the pictures and you'll see what I mean. What a steal!

0 comments: