Friends, Family, People of the Jury:
Next week I am going on a 5 day canoe trip. Killer, right? Yes, but I am constantly being bothered by the ignorance and lack of respect for the wild that is twirling around me on a daily basis. I don't want to come off as an arrogant prick, but I'm somewhat worried that people's lack of experience is going to get them in trouble.
One of the most appealing things about traveling in a canoe is the fact that I don't have to carry my backpack. I look at this as a luxury, but not as an excuse to pack my Nintendo Wii or a 30 bomb of Tui. Unfortunately, a lot of the other group members have it in their minds that they will be bringing everything BUT the kitchen sink, due to the luxury of not having to worry about weight.
I'm skeptical about this. There is more than 1 difference between traveling via canoe and traveling via the shoelace express. I'm worried that it's going to snow and people are going to be extremely uncomfortable, wishing they had the proper gear. In my mind, I'd rather be prepared and take the right clothes instead of using the extra space and bringing beer.
I've made a nice little list and info sheet for the other 11 people in the group. Most of them I am not too concerned about; I've hiked and traveled with about 8 of them and I know that they know what they are getting themselves into. However, half of those 8 are naive enough to recognize the risks they face, while the other 3 are clueless. The list and info sheet helps, but they aren't taking it seriously, and I don't want to be "that guy" who functions more like a nag than a supporter/organizer.
So I'm going to leave it be. If they fucking freeze, it's their own damn fault. I'm going to pretend that I'm going backpacking. I'm going to pack minimal and mindful with full regard to all possible scenarios I may encounter. For the rest, it's history I guess...
In other news, I have one more week of school so FUUUUUCK LEARNING and stuff...
Sunday, October 7, 2007
Going Light Without Going Overboard
at
8:32 PM
·
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
matt, are you guys going to do any portages? if so, your friends WIll be f-u-c-k-e-d
Drew,
That's a very good question and something I failed to address in the original post. No, there are not any portages... lucky bastards. However, I'm still concerned that the weather is going to be the biggest threat.
Don't be a nazi
Don't be anonymous
Post a Comment