Friday, May 16, 2008

The Arm Sling as a Stimulus to Increase Attention and Decrease Personal Responsibility

·

Being in an arm sling for the past 24 hours has had it's downsides. I have had trouble driving a car, eating ice cream, and opening and closing doors. However, it has also lead to an increase in specific behaviors of those around me which have been more than desirable, and I'm starting to think that being hurt is actually a good thing... :-)

I've seen a 60% increase in door-opening behavior by random strangers, a 25-30% increase in looks/stares, and a 10% increase in "Can I help you with that" responses. I've also been told twice to "keep it easy" on the job. Maybe I'll fall 12 feet more often :-)

Lucky for me my social standing is strong enough where I can lose the arm string and still receive attention. But imagine those who aren't as lucky as you and I? I'm talking about certain individuals who recieve more attention for being hurt than they do when they are physically able. And if the individual is "suffering" (sorry, I couldn't find another word to use... be aware that I say "suffering" in the most non-mentalistic way possible) from severe attention deprivation... getting hurt may be a larger-than-life blessing.

My arm sling is a prime example about how one environmental manipulation can change a multitude of behaviors of those around you. Since the behavior classes of those responses are very desirable (who doesn't love attention and ice cream?) it can lead to positive reinforement and a decrease in personal responsibility. In one hour I'll be at work, and I'm sure that there isn't going to be much expected of my performance. On this sunny Friday afternoon, I really don't feel like working anyway...

1 comments:

banananibor said...
May 18, 2008 at 12:56 PM  

If you say so, Pavlov...