Lately I've been hearing a lot of stuff concerning professionalism on the InterTubes (aka the Internet, for those of you who don't appreciate jive talk). It's been a growing topic at work, at home, and in the news. So I figured I'd talk about it here, and see if I can draw any good conclusions or guidelines. Hold tight, this might confuse you as much as it has troubled me...
I closed my Facebook account two years ago when I was starting my undergraduate research project. For part of my requirements, I had to teach a class on self-management. It came to my attention (whether someone prompted me or if it was my own conclusion I cannot remember) that it would be best to limit myself from interacting with those in my class in order to maintain a high standard of professionalism. So I quit Facebook, because I didn't want to deal with the pressure of censoring myself online (I'll save my views on censorship for another time). Although I know that I can make my profile private and pick and chose who I want to view my information, I still didn't like that idea. Somewhere down the line, I felt like it would come back to haunt me one way or another. And I've been happy with my decision.
Now, I don't have to worry about my students getting an unwanted peek at my personal life. And I also don't have to worry about getting an unwanted peek at theirs. For example: the last thing I want to see is one of my students riding a mechanical bull, looking like white trash. It's one thing to discuss the fact that we all like to party. I'll say it openly and proudly. But I feel like that's within the boundaries of a decent human being who can hold a decent level of professional standard. The thing that's good about talk is that it leaves things open for imagination, and I can always give people the benefit of the doubt. But what I see it full color, that's another story - you're out of luck, Sista.
RULE #1: If you're going to use a social networking site, don't post pictures of yourself riding a mechanical bull, looking like white trash (or doing anything else that would be considered "white trash")
FYI: I know of no pictures of anyone riding a bull, looking like white trash. Who knows if they exist; don't turn me into a believer.
(I've borrowed the term "white trash" from Dr. Malott, whom I have been spending much time with lately discussing proper grammar and how to make rolled oats, with some theoretical analysis of behavior somewhere in between)
A few of my BATS 2008 cohort members have been trying to convince me to rejoin Facebook. They're tricky, but not that tricky :-) I trust that they'll keep their cool and make sure they don't ruin their careers over something stupid.
I haven't mentioned that I have an innate ability to read minds. I know what you're thinking, "But Matt, you have a blog, a Web site, and all of this other crap online where you write about X and Y, swear, and call Barack Obama an over-hyped gnard-stick... you're a hypocrite." Well, all of that is true, for the most part at least, but I don't think that I'm a hypocrite, and here's why. Everything I've ever written I've been proud of, and is a sole reflection of my beliefs, emotions, etc. I feel like it's logical, and that it makes sense. All may not agree that it's logical or that it makes sense, but I hope everyone will find it in their hearts to appreciate some dialog and questions about the way we live, and what we can do to solve life's answers. Before I submit anything (and this has been a guideline for the last few years, ever since Steve and I had a broad discussion about outcomes of our behavior), I ask myself "Am I willing to accept the consequences for this in the future, if it ever happens to be the case?" I feel like that's a good guideline to follow, and I hope that you'll agree.
RULE #2: Having an information sharing orgy with the Internet is cool and fun, as long as your willing to accept the consequences of your actions. When in doubt, leave it out. And don't just brush over what may happen. Think long and hard; those skills are good to have anyway.
The few guidelines I have mentioned here may not apply to you or your career. I'm starting to wonder if they apply anywhere at all, and if I'm just wallowing in my own self-righteousness... hmmm. Whatever you find to be the case, I think it's important for anyone to develop a code of ethics within their own work and professional environment, while keeping true your values and beliefs on censorship (those that apply to a greater organization than your own, i.e. where you stand within society and it's rules and values). Think about ways the Internet can help you, and ways the Internet can destroy you, and go from there.
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Professionalism and the InterTubes
at
7:24 PM
·
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
You're completely right in your blog about ethics. Personal information held on the internet can ultimately impact the outcome of one's future. As I'm sure you already know, employers will sometimes base their decision on whether they employ someone or not on what they find in their online personal profiles. While the resume of a potential employee might be contain everything they could hope for, a picture of him or her hitting a bong probably wouldnt persuade an employer to follow through with the hire.
Yes, I agree. And I probably didn't make myself clear enough with this one, so I'll say it now: You shouldn't abstain from activities that you enjoy, like riding a mechanical bull, looking like white trash. You should just keep them to yourself or within your circle of friends. Liberty and commonsense sharing of information are two different things, no doubt.
Would it be so awful to just avoid doing stupid things like riding bulls in the first place? Seems easier to me than all of this. And less painful on the gonads and such.
Wallowing in your own self righteousness? Ohhhh Matt.
It may be easier to abstain, but how much fun would that be? :-)
Post a Comment