In the distance I can hear the faint sounds of celebration. Fireworks, car horns, and beer bottles clinking are just a few of the familiar stimuli that arise from celebrating the 4th of July.
I've been known to be awfully critical of America and Her system. However, I've always been proud to be an American. Especially today, I feel proud to be one of many who have been so properly nourished by this great country.
This is the 2nd year in a row when I have not been in Harbor Springs to celebrate the 4th of July. Last year, I was in Hamilton, New Zealand, and the 4th of July seemed like every other day. A few of my American friends said "Happy 4th!" while in passing, but it never meant much to me because I was so consumed with the then novel enviornment of New Zealand. Now that I'm home again, I more than miss Harbor Springs.
In fact, the last time I was in Harbor Springs, my 4th of July was sooo full of emotions... you could take an entire year of emotions of a 13 year old pre-pubecent girl, and shove them all into one day; that was what my 4th of July was like two years ago. Do I miss that? Yes! But we are strong, and we are rebuilding...
A lot of people think that it's ludicres for Dr. Malott to hold class on the 4th of July. Personally, I won't object to that statement. I think it's downright crazy, and there are 100 other things I would rather be doing. But I understand the principle behind his decision: in order to become a dedicated practicioner of the science of human behavior, you have to make sacrifices, and one of those sacrifices is giving up your day to celebrate your own freedom to attend a 3 hour seminar on rule governed behavior. It's hard to argue with that, at least for me.
In the end I guess we will all have different ways of celebrating our freedom. Remember, if you're one of the few who manage to pass out on my boat tonight back in Harbor Springs, when you wake up to throw up over the side, remember little Matt back in Kalamazoo... oi?
Friday, July 4, 2008
Are We Dedicated, or Are We Stupid?
at
11:51 AM
·
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment