Before you read this, read this.
In the heart of Massachusetts lies the Judge Rotenberg Center (JRC), a controversial behavioral program known for it's use of aversive behavioral techniques. Don't be fooled, it's mission is a noble one.
Once the JRC accepts a student, they do not expel them due to their difficult behavior problems. For some, JRC is the last of many stops they have made over the years. Often, individuals are pushed around in the system through programs and institutions that were unable to get their behavior under control. Once they come to JRC, all of that changes. They minimize/ditch the use of psychotropic medication, and get to the heart of the behavior issues. [1]
"JRC relies primarily on the use of positive programming and educational procedures to modify the behaviors of its students. If however, after giving these procedures a trial for an average of eleven months, they prove to be insufficiently effective, JRC then considers supplementing them with more intensive treatment procedures known as aversives. These are used only after obtaining prior parental, medical, psychiatric, human rights, peer review and individual approval from a Massachusetts Probate Court." (from the JRC Web site)
Notice the legal boundaries they have to cross in order to use shock. It's not like there's some sick, sadistic behavior analyst sitting behind a desk ordering Johnny to be zapped. Oh no, everything is looked after, carefully. And from what I understand, if a staff member delivers a shock when they should not have, they are terminated on the spot. How's that for ethics?
When you look at the big picture, shock isn't horrible at all. For example, you've been pushed through numerous institutions, while maintaining a diet of heavy, government regulated psychotropic drugs. You are 120 pounds overweight, you sleep all day, and you still engage in numerous problem behaviors that are dangerous to you and society. Everything has failed: positive behavioral support, drugs, talk therapy, etc. The only thing that is left is shock, and it works. A few jolts can go a long way, just look at the data (from the slide show cited earlier):
Of course, I'm probably blowing the situation out of proportion, and I cannot speak for any case that has come and gone from JRC. Nor can I speak for the entire field of applied behavior analysis, as even our most prominent researchers such as Skinner and Risely argued against the use of aversive control (I'll save this discussion for another day; but to give you a heads up, Skinner was wrong when he said we can build a world free of aversive control).
But as always, most lawmakers and parents don't understand the necessity of this treatment. It's gone as far where some states are considering passing legislation to stop the funding of individuals who attend programs that use aversives. If these laws were to pass, they would set an awful precedent, killing the possibility of the "lost causes" receiving effective treatment. We're so fixated on drugs and medicine; we'll prescribe drugs with horrible side effects that do major damage to our body over a long period of time, but we won't allow a few skin shocks to stop an otherwise lifetime of problems. It's all fucked up.
[1] http://www.judgerc.org/slideshow.pdf Take a look at the slide show PDF for all sorts of cool data, etc


3 comments:
You sound well intentioned but I wish you wouldn't comment on JRC without doing more homework. I was fired from JRC as a 'student recruiter' because I didn't want to omit the fact that 50% of their clients require 'optional intensive treatment' (skin shock) to referring agencies/individuals unless specifically asked. The only reason it takes an average of 11 months to start treatment is because some parents don't want to sign consent right away, it takes time to get to court, and it is helpful to chart treatment failure for a good chunk of time. Kids with signed consents go on GED regardless of their progress on reward based programming, all it takes is one multiday contract breaking behavior which typically includes swearing and simple noncompliance (saying no). Kids without signed consents are either flooded with rewards until they are discharged or spend most of their days on four point restraint boards if the parents seem likely to give in. Many people say that Israel is motivated by money but knowing him fairly well, I'd say his primary reinforcer is social attention. Primarily he wants to impress his wife Judy who runs Tobinworld in CA but he would also like to make a big name for himself in a historical sense after his mentor Skinner. It is a bit of a moot point now anyway since pressure from lawsuits and negative attention have done too much damage in the way programmatic integrity and human resources for behavior plans to be particularly effective.
Hi Matt,
I read your posting re: JRC. I would suggest that you consider some additional research regarding positive practices and supports before jumping on board with adversives. Utilizing any form of pain to "manage" behavior is without a doubt cruel. We are harkening back to the very dark days of "commercial" institutionalization, massive dosings on anti-psychotics, shock therapy, ice pick lobotomies, and the like.
No person deserves to be treated in a manner as what is done at JRC.
I was once a 1st year grad student. I thought I had things all figured out too. Please read some works by Herb Lovett and others in the field. I do hope you change your perspective of JRC, the "therapies." Best wishes to you & take care,
Jessica
Thanks for your input. This topic is definitely one of great controversy.
Post a Comment