I didn't know what to expect when I applied to the University of Waikato. All I knew was that I had to have at least a 3.00 g.p.a. Later, I learned that the g.p.a. requirement was put in place by Western Michigan University. Now I am thinking that you would have to be pretty damn silly to be rejected from this college.
But I don't mean that in a bad way, per say. What I mean is that the standards are low, so low that I am amazed that people actually pursue higher education.
Let's take a step back to NZ high school. From a very informal questionnaire (conducted by myself to a small sample), getting through high-school is a breeze. There is no g.p.a. system like we have in the USA. Instead, it's more of a pass/fail approach to learning. There is no competition to get a good g.p.a. in order to get into a good college. When people graduate from high school, they simply pick where they want to go based on which college hosts their area of interest.
Once NZ students get to college, there isn't much motivation to excell academically. A 75% will get you an A. And as we know back home, especially at WMU, it's pretty damn easy to get a 75%. So students don't go to class, they don't do their homework, and they don't participate in discussion (when they actually do go to class). And the professors accept this. They shrug it off, smile, and give you a grade accordingly.
But really, when you think about it, why should the students go to lectures? People don't take attendance. Your grade is not contingent on participation. Instead, you have 1 or 2 essays to write, and a final exam if you are unlucky. The essays are worth about 40% of your grade, and the final is worth about 60%. That's it. 1, maybe 2 chances for feedback and performance management. From a behavioral perspective, this place is a nightmare.
In the end, no one seems to care. But I do. I have invested heaps of money into this trip, and I intend to learn on multiple fronts. Yes, of course I will enjoy my trip to Milford like I have already enjoyed the glow worm caves. But I still value academic advancement, the pursuit of knowledge, and the struggle of holding multiple levels of life together in a strange and new environment. Just because the kiwis seemingly don't value intellectualism doesn't mean that I have to abandon it. I must embrace it more than ever.
But I love this place. I don't regret coming here, not one bit. I'm learning so much each and every day. It is just so strange...
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
A subjective and highly critical analysis of New Zealand's educational system(s)
at
2:48 AM
·
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I can't imagine that they don't value intellectualism. Try to find out how they express it instead of accepting they don't illustrate it in a way similar to the US.
That's an interesting point. I'm mainly just pointing towards the students here. Obviously there are academics, and the students who work and value intelectualism just as much as Americans do. However, the overwhelming majority of students don't.
Post a Comment