Well my organizational (they spell it "organiSational" and I refuse to acknowledge the regional spelling) psychology class is not going to be like I originally thought. After reading the first chapter on work motivation, I realized that I am not going to get the hard-line behavioral approach that I am used to. Instead, the book is the standard eclectic approach to psychology. It mentions cognitive theories, and behavioral theories. Part of me is irritated and wants to find myself a new class, while the other half of me is saying "Dude, it will be a nice challenge to take the cognitive methods and turn them into behavioral principles and techniques." I sort of feel that by staying in the class I would be testing my faith in my beloved science. Also, there isn't another psych class I can take without re-taking something (pointless). Plus, the book is called "Organiz(s)ational Psychology in Australia and New Zealand." Part of being here is getting the regional feel for things, and in the end it may be best to stay in the class. I like the whole idea about testing my faith; behavior analysis is something I love and can get really sensitive and defensive about. I should lighten up, but never forget to save the world with behavior analysis.
`
On a much lighter note, last night I went to a concert in downtown Hamilton. Apparently Kiwis are obsessed with Dub Reggae. How come I didn't know this earlier? The band, The Black Seeds were incredible. I skanked all night. The only problem was that the venue was absolutely packed full of people. They must not have strict fire codes around here or something, because a gathering of people like that would never happen back home. The risk of possible pandemonium was worth the jams, however.
95% of the student body is out getting pissy tonight. I have opted to stay in, do homework, and try to get rid of my cold. One of the things about living in the dorms is that I am surrounded by 18-19 year olds who are rolling off of the novelty of individual freedom. It is hard for them to grasp concepts like "staying in on a Thursday to study" and "saving to be able to travel." But it's not too much of a concern; most of my friends are international students, around my age with the same academic agenda. And the Kiwis who support me are worth my time, and those who don't can go eat a coconut.
This Saturday I am going to Auckland for a cheap, quick tour of the city. The following weekend I am returning with 9 other students for a more beligerant tour of the town: rugby, shopping, rugby, and rugby. For those of you who are going to Blissfest, be sure to party up twice as hard for me, and make sure not to do anything I wouldn't do :-)
Thursday, July 12, 2007
Testing my faith
at
4:04 AM
·
Labels: Kiwis love dub
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Matt-- BLACK SEED-- sounds great, thanks for shareing the music. We missed the cruise due to bad weather, you know that is, but we are flying to london on the 22 ... love Grandpa
Post a Comment