Monday, November 19, 2007

Beh

·

Life is rad. Yesterday we camped in Mt Aspiring National Park for the 3rd or 4th day in a row. We hiked 3 hours to a hut, only to decide that we would rather not deal with other members of the human race. So we back-tracked 1km to a really nice piece of flat land, pitched our tents, built a fire, and relaxed under a sky full of bright stars. It was a special night because it was so quiet, so calm. The moon lit the mountains up just enough so we could tell the difference between the snow and the rock. Fetching water out of a cool mountain stream at midnight without the guide of my flashlight was not only a treat, but a blessing. The next day, it was about 75 deg and sunny. We found a nice swimming hole around the river and cooled ourselves off in the cold mountain river. Fuck it was cold, yet it was another blessing...

Now we're in Queenstown, which reminds me a lot of Harbor Springs. It's small, full of tourists, and right on a lake. I think I even saw a fudge shop...

Today I showered for the first time in 8 days. Sheeit.

I've been getting along with Matt and Jordy very well. But today things have been so-so between everyone (it was bound to happen), so I took off by myself and walked around town to try to cool my head and take in all that has happened, everything that is happening, and all that is about to take place. Tomorrow we're heading out early to do a 3 night hike through the Southern Alps. I have discovered that the only way I am going to be able to see New Zealand without the constant bombardment of tourists is to get out in the back country and live life like a wandering bum. Lucky for me, I enjoy that type of shit. Otherwise, I'd be super disapointed with the South Island. It's great, don't get me wrong, but you have to remember that this place thrives on tourism. All it takes is a little fitness and ambition to get away from the Joe Smiths in NZ...

After the hike, we'll be heading to Fijordland National Park, home of the world famous Milford Sound. Google that shit if you haven't already. From there, we'll probably hit up Mt Aoraki and then bust up to the north to do a kyack trip. I'll drop Jordy and Matt off in Picton on the 7th, and then it's a solo show until Drew comes on the 15th. I'm not sure what I'll do when I'm by myself. I may park my ass for a few days, or I may do a solo long-distance hike. Either way I can't complain too much...

Pictures will not be available until after I get home.

0 comments: