Monday, June 2, 2008

Possitive Behavioral Support in Kzoo

·


Behavior program shows good results at Northeastern


I'm delighted to hear about the approach Northeastern Elementary School of Kalamazoo is taking to manage problem behavior. The program aims to teach kids proper social and learning behavior so they can play "catch up" with their academic work.

Northeastern staffers attempt to limit disruptions by providing students with examples of proper and improper conduct -- for instance, displaying a picture of a child sliding properly next to another of the child running up the slide -- before disruptions happen. They also are trained by counselors to detect cognitive or emotional impairments that can produce improper behavior.


We often make the error of assuming that children are familiar with behavior that best facilitates learning. For example, you and I both understand that sitting still, not interrupting, and asking proper questions are key elements of learning in a classroom setting. When you have children who don't engage in proper learning behavior, we assume that they just don't care, or that they don't want to learn... and that's the error.

You'll never hear an educator say, "Well, maybe I haven't taught the kids how to behave well enough." But this is often the case. Not always, but often enough for us to be concerned.

And that's why I'm so happy to hear that Kalamazoo Public Schools take a systematic approach to learning! Instead of blaming the children for their Bx and sending them to the dump/special education classroom, the school takes it upon itself to break down the components of learning until the kids have it down.

"When there are behavioral problems, it makes sense to teach social skills and let students practice them,'' Northeastern Principal Susan Chartier said.


Well said.

I'm not sure how many students attend this school, but here's a great statistic for you to munch on: "Northeastern has seen disciplinary referrals fall by 64 percent."

Wow!

Save the world with Behavior Analysis!

P.S. This makes up for the article my grandma sent me earlier today about a Florida teacher who had her group of pre-school kids vote to see whether or not a child labeled Autistic should be allowed in their class. The vote, 14-2 (I believe) was well in favor of the child leaving the class, and was done in the presence of the student. How would you feel if a group of 5-6 year olds and 1 malicious teacher voted your son with a learning disability out of his classroom? The teacher should be fired and should have her license stripped away, forever.

In the words of Dr. Malott, this is only my humble opinion, and I could be wrong... but probably not.

P.P.S. GO RED WINGS!

0 comments: