The lunar eclipse was amazing and I am glad that it was a clear night and that I find it funny to write like Hemingway used to write.
I jumped at the occasion to sit around and do nothing tonight. It's been a long time since my body has asked me if it would be Ok for it to sit around. I've been spoiled, though, because last night I sat in a hot tub for 45 minutes. There's too much leisure.
YET, I have two jobs... and that's where the mystery lies! Why am I so bored with my time? I'm so confused!
I was cleaning out my computer today (HELL YEAH LEOPARD). I found a file titled "New Story", and it turned out to be a word document with only 2 short paragraphs of text:
The sun peeked it’s way through the dark black curtains as James emerged his head out from underneath the covers of his queen sized bed.
“Aarr…” He mumbled as he stepped out of bed and adjusted the curtains. He hated getting up. “Another day. Hell…”
... and that's all. Hmmm... I wonder what was happening on the day I wrote that, and why I only made it that far? What type of mood was I in to bring me to start a story with someone getting out of bed and hating it? I could have been on to the best concept, ever... or the worst. Man, too bad I lost that thought, or maybe it's a good thing?
Later I found another unfinished essay titled "Hell is Appalachia". Here's an excerpt from the first half (the 2nd half is not worth your time):
From the pictures and books that show the vistas and landscapes of the Great Smoky Mountains, one would tact them “beautiful,” “awesome” or “amazing.” Yes, they are these things. But the Great Smoky Mountains are also home to some of the toughest hiking terrain east of the Mississippi river. “Here” and “There” do not exist like they do everywhere else. They have been replaced with “Up” and “Down.” There are also no actual distances or lengths, only approximations. The trail map may tell you that it is 4.7 miles to the next intersection, and the trail sign will agree. But I can assure you that both are dead wrong.
I am making a proposition, a call to develop a formula that will calculate the actual distance from point A to point B in the Great Smoky Mountains. First, you take the mileage on the map (d = 5.0), then you multiply it by the numerical value of the current month (m = 5). You then divide the product by the number of times the trail varies by more than 1,000 feet, up and down. So if the trail goes up and down at least a thousand feet four times, you would divide that number by four (4 = v).
(d x m)/v = the actual milage of that section of the trail. By my calculations, the trail was actually greater than 6 miles long, although the map said that it was 5! And that, my friend, is a conservative figure. Just wait as the year drags on, the trail gets longer and longer…
I think I was a bit irritated when I wrote that one.
I feel strange. I blame it on the moon. :-)


0 comments:
Post a Comment